Tuesday, November 29, 2016

"...i could've been a great many things."





most often when we fall in love we can look back and recount the exact moment,
when lightning struck and everything else was history from there.
except, i can't ever really recall the exact moment i fell in love with literature.
was it my constant readings of babysitter's club novels in grade school,
or the first time i cried in the end of to kill a mockingbird?
was it when i used to make my mom take me to the library 
to check out the book my 4th grade teacher was reading to the class that week 
just so i could look ahead,
or when i found my literary soulmate in carrie bradshaw?
i don't think i will ever really know the moment it happened,
but i do know it is a love so strong i made a college degree of it,
without ever an ounce of regret.

i remember in 3rd grade my mother took me to see the movie little women.
i also distinctly remember pushing up the theatre chair arm rest and 
grabbing her hand, while resting my head 
{teased bangs and all...i was 7 going on 17, obviously}
on her shoulder and sobbing during the scene where beth & jo talk for the last time.
i also have never, to this day, forgiven josephine for not choosing laurie.
and the cat's not even outta the bag on that spoiler alert, y'all,
because i'm pretty sure that discussion is one of the greatest literary mysteries of all time.

ironically enough,
the story of all sisters has spent a lifetime resonating with the girl who has only brothers.
little women is and always will be one of my favorite novels,
and josephine march is and always will be my favorite literary character ever written.
others can have their elizabeth bennets and natasha rostovas and hermione grangers,
but mine was always this fiesty, but kind hearted, woman before her time.
and apparently, 
the apple doesn't fall far from the bradley tree.
a couple of years ago, my grandmother gifted me the above set of 
FIRST EDITION louisa may alcott novels,
 which quickly became one of my absolute most prized possessions.
in digging through them,
i even found the original owner from my family tree, minnie lewis, 
cut out a review of the first little women film published by the chicago tribune in 1919,
and one of the black grosgrain ribbons she used as a bookmark.
so perhaps my literary love wasn't a moment of falling, but rather destiny,
from minnie to me.

and imagine my excitement when i logged into google this morning,
and discovered that on this day, 183 years ago,
louisa may alcott was born.
which means tonight i'll be curling up with some chicken noodles
to get myself over this rudely aggressive cold,
and my little women dvd.
wishing my sweet kiki-belle {mom} was here to watch it with me,
but grateful she has taught me a love of such things.

"now and then, in this workday world, 
things do happen in the delightful storybook fashion,
and what a comfort that is."
--little women--

happy tuesday, cupcakes!
XxOo.

{ps - if you are a fan of great music, the soundtrack to little women is, without argument, one of the most beautifully composed films of forever & ever.}
{you're welcome.}

1 comment:

  1. I grew up watching the 1949 version with Elizabeth Taylor. The newer film is okay, but not as good as 'my' version, in my humble opinion. ;) Little Women is my mom's favorite book and she has many beloved copies. Every used book store is thoroughly checked for early copies of the book, and I've found some great ones on eBay for her. My sister Betsy was named for Beth (her full name is Elizabeth). You have good taste. :)

    ReplyDelete